Monday, October 5, 2015

Why do I study Japanese?

When I was in primary school, I loved watching Japanese animations and comics. My favorite animations are Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk, Cooking Master Boy, and Naruto. (Please feel free to post any comments if you also like those animations : ) )The characters in those animations were my childhood idols, and since then I have been very into Japanese culture, arts, music and language. By the way, my favorite cartoonist is CLAMP while my favorite J-pop stars are Ayumi Hamazaski and Fukada Kyoto.

I decide to taking Japanese language course in my senior year so that I can have enough time to study it. After taking Japanese for a few weeks, I think this is a very beautiful language - not only the pronunciation but also the writing system. Speaking of writing system, it is very challenging for me because they have three forms - hiragana, katakana and Kanji. Maybe, Japan has assimilated and mixed both eastern and western culture, so they have specific forms for specific language and terms. This sometimes confused me. But I believe after I complete this course, I will be fine with the writing system.

12 comments:

  1. hi. im naoki. 18years old from oasaka. i major in international business.i dont know about japanese animation and music in detail.but i will study for you as a japanese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, nice to meet you! International Business sounds like a very interesting major~~ I major in Financial Economics.

      Delete
    2. the financial economics which you learn is mainly focus on the usa,isn't it?

      Delete
    3. Hello Naoki, actually my major focuses on the global market. It is one of the areas of Economics studies. So we have to study Macro Economics and International trade as well.

      Delete
    4. i see. i heard students of the USA have a lot of homework. is it true ?

      Delete
    5. Hi, I don't know about other schools, but we, Columbia students, are very busy. We have too much homework to do so that most of us can't get enough sleep. There're three "s": sleep, study, and social. We can only choose two among them.

      Delete
  2. Sailor Moon was my favorite! I used to go around pretending I'm one of the characters.

    すしはすきですか?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yeah. I wanted to become sailor moon when I was young. すしがだいすきですよ。

      Delete
  3. I used to loved watching Naruto with my brother! I also love other Japanese anime such as こどものおもちゃ. みました?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. こどものおもちゃ? sounds very interesting, I heard about it, でも、まだみませんです。

      Delete